Friday, October 26, 2012

Hittin' the Pavement

I did it!  I actually ran outside last night.  This may not be a big deal for some of you but this was HUGE for me and I couldn't be more excited if I tried! 

I got my Polar heart rate monitor out that I used to wear when I taught spin, downloaded Endomondo onto my phone, leashed up the pooch and hit the pavement!  I was shocked that I was actually able to follow the same walk/run routine (with longer running interval I might add!) that I have been doing on the treadmill without pushing myself too hard or getting caught in the dog's leash and falling on my face!

I ran 2.70 miles going door to door so it included a warm up/cool down that slowed my actual time down.  My average pace time was a slow 13:46/mile but I don't care, I did it .... I ran outside!!!  For those who think I am overreacting you need a little back story .... I have never been able to run outside, I get winded faster, I can't pace myself and worry way too much about who might be looking and judging!  Running in the dark certainly helped the worry of onlookers and for some great strange reason I was able to pace myself and run a wee bit faster then I have been when I am on the 'mill!  I can't tell you the number of times I have looked at Steve since I got back from my run and squealed, "I ran outside!!!"


My plan is to get out again before our lovely Canadian winter hits, we have been totally spoiled with this amazing 25+ degree weather for the end of October!  Over the winter I am committed to working on form and technique so I can enter my first 5K in the spring!  I am so excited, I am beginning to understand the drive in running.  The sense of accomplishment, not to mention the bonus of fresh air and scenery!  My pooch even liked it, he stayed close by me and seemed pleased to be running .... even if to no where in particular!  By the time we got back home he was quick to look for a drink and then hit the floor ... I actually wore him out! 


Busy weekend coming up so I may not be able to get out again until Monday, I'm on a bus and off to Barrie, ON for two hockey games this weekend.  I will definitely be chomping at the bit to run again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment